Tuesday 27 October 2009

PART 2 - Elvina Bay

On Saturday night, I went to sleep on a plane leaving Narita, and woke up on Sunday morning in Sydney. Sunday was all about getting here to Elvina Bay which is water access only – car hire, Woolworths then water taxi. Finally to the house up the inclinator (cliff lift to the rest of us!) Then, later in the afternoon, M arrived with his two youngest children who will be staying here a week. Since then it’s been jobs and its good to sit down. The first meeting went well I think, although to be honest, I’m exhausted – mostly from the build-up both to the move and the meeting. They think I’m funny apparently, which is good. His daughter (12) is hugely into fashion and labels and seemingly very unimpressed by the second hand Audi we bought yesterday and the rented house, which has ‘old people furniture’. His son (7) is just so happy to see his dad and thanked me for keeping him company in Japan. He asked if I could be his stepmother, which was very sweet, but felt like a test so I said I would like to be friends if that was ok to start off.

After a day’s skiving, they went back to school today, which meant a 6.30 taxi to the main wharf and sandwiches packed last night. I’m feeling slightly shell shocked by the whole overnight lifestyle transformation but keeping a very open mind – easier to do when I’m sitting in on the jetty with my feet in the water as I write this! I’m on my own today so had a big walk in the national park behind the house and cleaned the house. I’m slightly obsessed with spiders, having found s funnel-nest right next to the front door on the first day and a black wiggly thing in my bed the same day. I’m sure Ill get over it. Either that or permanent gloves!

Next challenge is to find a boat to get practising as we’re going for our boat-driving license next week. Before that, a few days in Melbourne with my dear friend Nic and her three boys. Hopefully I’ll feel a bit more settled when I get back.

1 comment:

  1. lucky beach...

    clocks gone back here, and it is grey and miserable. Humbug!

    ReplyDelete