Saturday 7 November 2009

Putting the rubbish out

Back from Melbourne after a lovely week with my great friend Nics who managed to calm me down and feel a little bit more at home. Arrived in Sydney to 38 degree temperatures, which lasted a day, then plummeted to 20.

Down to practicalities. M having been left on his own, the mountain of debris had piled up in the house and I pondered about rubbish collection. It sits with water on one side and the national park on the other and with no roads anywhere near, I thought it might be interesting. I googled it and found the answer under ‘the world’s strangest garbage collections’. And here it is – every Tuesday and Friday morning, debris must be left in bags on the jetty and it will be collected by truck sitting atop a barge. It cannot be left out before because it will be opened by the other residents – so far, I’ve seen a guano, two wallabies, a possum on our terrace, not to mention the galas which wake us every morning or the kukuaburra which sits outside the kitchen window. And there are spiders. Big fat ones which crawl onto the windows at night and look like crabs. I itch constantly and keep socks in shoes. Nics swiped a handsized huntsman so professionally and I wonder if I will ever be able to do that – I doubt it!


No comments:

Post a Comment