Tuesday 13 October 2009




Inspired presumably by Carrie's wearing of one in the SATC movie, so many friends have asked me to pick them up a kimono. I have so far failed but not without trying. On weekends and holidays, girls are wear traditional dress frequently - it always makes me laugh when their gabbing on a mobile or smoking a fag whilst wearing one! The beautiful formal dresses with all the accessories, including the little wooden platform shoes, are worn for ceremonies and I think are purchased made to measure, rather than in the Japanese equivalent of M&S.

Yukatas however, are sported by men and women as lounge wear, in the same way westerners wear tracksuits. When visiting an onsen, one is usually provided, complete with sash and overjacket for warmth, to hang about in within the hotel and wear to the traditional dinner that is usually eaten. There are loads of tourist shops selling these but I've never been tempted, and at home, I prefer to wear my own traditional dress of leggings and t shirt. If I were to change my mind however, I'd go directly to Hirocoledge. Their designs are funky and they use chusen, which is a dyeing method originating from the Meiji Period (1868-1912), which makes the patterns reversible.

They also have some other cool stuff too, like bags and cushions in the same big, bold graphic patterns. Bear in mind the right wear to wear it (right over left), otherwise its funereal (a bit like leaving chopsticks stuck into rice). You wouldn't want to get that wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment