Sunday 29 August 2010

One man's junk...





So, after a break, the arrival of my new, rather gorgeous (and rather large) niece, Im back in Sydney. Rather good thing too it turns out as my incoming visa runs out next Saturday and I would not have been able to get back in. So, now Im marooned in Australia until they finally get to the bottom of the pile to what is my visa application and make a decision one way or another.

So, I've got to keep my spirits up and the best way I know how, is to go shopping.

I've mentioned before about furniture created during the depression era in Australia, of which there is a brilliant exhibition at the Museum of Sydney, called Spent. Due to lack of funds, people created stuff to furnish their homes from packing crates, of which there were plenty to be found at the docks. I've now found many examples and yesterday found a brilliant place called 'Doug up on Bourke' which was jam packed with depression furniture, alongside industrial fittings and loads of curiosities. We had a lovely couple of hours there lusting at oversized desks that M wants for his future studio, and first class seating from old trains.

PS sorry for the rather low level images, my camera is on the blink

No comments:

Post a Comment