Friday 25 September 2009





My lovely blue car was such a large part of my life for so long and I found it one of the hardest things to say goodbye to when I left. I generally quite green and I'd love to pretend I'm not a car person, but when its raining or stinking hot, I'd far rather be listening to the radio. I'm not remotely interested in expensive cars or gizmos. I find automatic dull and I believe that 4WDs should be kept for fields. Cars like clothing, say so much about you so there have been some very interesting discussions about what car we will be purchasing on arrival in Australia (M having just given up an 5 series BMW and cannot believe I kept a car for 13 years).

Like pretty much everything else, cars here are different. Toyota and Honda, lead by a long shot but aside from the badge, very little is recognisable. There are a zillion variations and a lot resemble other cars - theres a Toyota mini lookalike and one that could be mistaken for a corsa. On the whole they are box like and absolutely nothing grabs me in the same way it did when I fell in love with my previous vehicle.

Recently we've been using M's white Honda concept bike, which looks like it should be in Starwars. I love shifting through Tokyo without getting caught in traffic and there's a whole biker behavioural thing that happens at traffic lights about which I'm learning fast. There are secret parking spaces and checking out of other bikes and a whole hip thing that goes on. Bikers are cool - even the delivery guys with their noodle carriers on the back. There are one group though that stand out for me and that is the drivers of the Honda Fusion bikes. Big wide bikes with wide seats like sofas, slung low. Usually ridden by guys with girlfriends on the back. I want one!

We're shipping M's Honda and I now am the proud owner of a helmet to go with my Belstaff which is for once being used properly. I'm going to start small with a 50 cc and get my license. Then I'm going to come back and get one to take back. A blue one. Just don't tell my grandma!

1 comment:

  1. Great photos! Like you prior to moving to Spain, I had a sports car which I hung onto for 10 years! Loved that car!

    Would love a 4WD though, but then I live in the mountains of Andalucia and boy, do you need a tough vehicle out here!

    Pop over to my blog when you get back and see if you like it. I'm going to follow you and look forward to hearing of your trip on your return.

    Back soon!

    ReplyDelete