Wednesday 18 February 2009

Hanging on the telephone

Running around town, its increasingly obvious how much people here rely on their mobile phones.  In fact, when walking down the street, a person is most likely to be holding their phone out in front of them, almost like a beacon guiding their way.  

My crackberry fails to work here, apparently because I don't have 3G.  The one I have instead is reminiscent of a mobile from the 80's, long and flat and very ugly.  I find it impossible to figure out, and not just because some of the functions are in Japanese.  I assumed that it had the basic functions such as text, and alarm, and probably a calculator too, and these are sufficient for most of us.  But what I've now discovered is that most mobile phones here, including mine, have a plethora of functions to assist you in your every need.

Most are flip with a twist to access the keys, and the Japanese seem to make a big deal of the covers, customising them with stickers and jangly accessories, adding to their already bulky size.  They do everything my blackberry can do, with high spec cameras for both still and moving image and you can also watch TV on some of the latest models.  Although it is possible to text, most Japanese prefer to email or instant message because of the cost.  Phones can also guide your journey, be it in the car, walking or on public transport.  But the most amazing thing for me is the fact that each phone carries a scanner which operates as a form of payment.  This means that I don't need a credit card any more and I can pay for things simply by scanning my mobile and it will be charged to my account.  I can also use it as a Pasmo card (their Oyster equivalent) which means I can scan on the ticket barriers.  So behaving like the Queen is in easy grasp and soon I won't even need to carry a purse.

Unlike the Brits, the Japanese are not struggling with this new technology and have already established and etiquette as to how it should be used.  People do not shout and use on tubes and buses is extremely frowned upon, except to text or email.  It is believed that phones can upset pacemakers so one must turn it off in areas where the elderly are likely, such as courtesy seats on public transport.  The Japanese are so good too, and I think that they actually do adhere to these rules.  All but one.  Here too, using a mobile whilst driving is a frequent crime.



No comments:

Post a Comment