Friday 13 February 2009

Late start today due to the fact its a holiday here.  Not exactly sure who is on holiday because M wasn't and and there wasn't any evidence of it in Shibuya where I spent a few hours.  This is the tacky pop culture area where the teens hang out and its also home to the world's busiest pedestrian crossing.  After a couple of hours people watching, my blood sugar level was on the floor and I looked for something to eat.  What I fail to understand is how restaurant owners think a plastic model of the food offered could possibly entice your saliva to do its thing? Most of it is unidentifiable.  Still I braved it and selected something that turned out to be crabmeat, grated carrot, asparagus and mushroom in gloop sauce.  Delicious, particularly if you kept your eyes closed.  All for around 15 quid.  Joy of joys though, its considered rude to tip for anything in Japan.  I've found this really refreshing because you know exactly where you are and service is part of the culture rather than something that is pitched to earn extra cash.

After lunch, I found a food market that would put you off mashed peas for life and ended up in the Valentines section.  It's big here and the custom is for girls to buy their loved ones chocolate.  My loved one is not getting any chocolate.  He's on a diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment