Monday 28 February 2011

Quorn's here


Flavours, along with smells of course, are things that bring back memories. Sometimes even the thought of those tastes are enough to drag you back kicking to other parts of your life and you can recall those tastes as easily as if you were about to tuck in. Take MacDonald's for example. Love it or hate it, I can still recall the taste of a quarter pounder with cheese, or those dry tasting fries, although I haven't eaten meat for nearly 20 years. We're a long way by ship here so if you haven't brought it with you, its likely to either not taste the same (like chocolate), or cause you to remortgage.

My dad arrived at Christmas with a 'stash' literally, of PG tips. He had de-boxed them and put them in clear plastic bags, so with the air squeezed out of them, they looked so like something he should have been banged up for, if only he wasn't 82 and busy thanking the air hostesses. His delivery however, saved me a fortune, and brought M, the PG tips addict, much happiness. (sadly they were finished by the time dad left!). My Marmite, carried, and declared by me involving a long queue and plenty of verbal abuse from the Australian customs, is carefully counted to last until the next visit. NOBODY is allowed to touch my Marmite. Including The Boy who was overheard describing it to his 8 year old friend as 'Vegemite for London people'. I don't think so!

And I could kill for a good pizza. I've sidled up to Italians and asked for recommendations - the lower ground floor of the Post Office building in St Martin's Place seems to be it and I would rip off your arm for a Giardiniera and although my desire may be slightly biased, I'm far from alone. One of my reasons for being accepted into M's family is my closeness to a discount!

Now, I'm not saying that the food here isn't good - superb even. I don't think a single country on earth comes close to the Japanese offering but Australia isn't too far behind. Except in one area. If you're not a meat muncher, you're stuffed! Dried out bits of olive sausage is about all you can expect if you're a vegetarian at a BBQ, and we can nibble all we like on the skankiest 'schnitzel' from the freezer section that is worse than carpet food, but nobody is fooled.

But not any more....! Woolies have started sell Quorn.... Proper, good old fashioned Quorn, albeit with a new label and only one choice of sausage. But its still a Quorn sausage... We've had bolognaise today in two houses and I even got a call to tell me how much The (vego) Girl liked it... I still have no idea what's in it but I don't care. Its delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment