Tuesday 21 September 2010

The Soup Dragon (pea and courgette)


I know, I've been a bit quiet on the blogging front for the past week or so. It was my godson's 5th birthday, so I've been down with his mother on the Mornington Peninsular, cooking chocolate cake and beating boys at the wii machine. I'm exhausted. Now back in Sydney and trying to get back to my routine of walks and trying to settle into normal life, just as soon as I can.

One thing that has developed into a routine of late is my weekly making of soup. I think I mentioned a few weeks back that M and I are both on a bit of a health kick. To be frank, we haven't done too well - or rather I haven't, as M eats whatever he is given. I found all the hippy beans too much to do first thing and so I've now taken to making two big vats of soup a week which will serve us both for lunch. M gets to choose one, which makes him happy, and it usually involves meat. For me, I like the light, summery soups and I thought I'd care and share mine with you as I go.

This week, we're having pea and ham soup for him and pea and courgette soup for me. (I still refuse to call it zucchini, and I've managed to persuade the boy to eat aubergine, because he didn't realise it was eggplant which he hates...)

I think of my sister when I'm making this as she usually has a few tonnes of courgettes knocking about from her allotment, so if you can't find any, give her a buzz!

Pea and courgette soup

3 tbsp olive oil
4 courgettes, chopped up roughly
salt and pepper
3 cloves of garlic
few sprigs of thyme
1 ltr of stock - supposedly chicken but I used vegetable
1 small bag of peas, defrosted
Few squirts of lemon juice
Creme fraiche if you are lucky enough as I can't find it here so I use cream

Directions:

In a large saucepan or pot over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and just beginning to brown, 7 to 10 minutes.

Add the courgette and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally, until it's softened, about 4 to 5 minutes.

Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the stock or broth, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the peas and simmer, uncovered, for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat; set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes.

Transfer the soup to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth, processing in batches if necessary. When ready to serve, return the soup to the pan, place over low heat and cook just until warmed through. Do not boil. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.







No comments:

Post a Comment