Wednesday 22 February 2012

Online shopping at Hush

I'm gradually giving away my London wardrobe - of late, I've been mostly to hot to wear anything but shorts and lightweight dresses.  In winter though, our hose at the top of a hill, looking out to sea, is absolutely freezing.  This year, we will be bending to a nice new gas heater but I'm also planning to make sure I have nice warm clothes to wear too.

I've found shopping in Sydney quite difficult.  In the city, girls are far smarter than London.  Locally though, its a bit more beach culture and everything is so expensive.  There is a local Bassike store in Avalon which has seen my credit card on occasion - but as has everyone else, and its only a small town and sometimes a vest top is all I need ...

Australia has yet to fully embrace the internet shopping culture.  Although it is growing, I find the shipping costs expensive and delivery times much longer - I'm still waiting on a sweater I ordered from Country Road over 10 days ago and now I don't want it!  Even shopping from the groundbreaking Next Catalogue (remember that?!) in the early '90's was within 4 days and with Net-a-Porter offering a shipped parcel within 48 hours to Australia, the competition I'm sure will no doubt shape up shortly.

In the meantime though, I've actually found it cheaper and quicker to buy online from the UK.  I know this is not great on my carbon footprint but I do buy responsibly, always asking where and how things are made - something I can't do in very many places in Australia.  I'm deeply upset at the demise of my favourite, Baby Ceylon, and will treasure the brightly coloured dresses I have from there forever.

For basics, I am very fond of Aussie-girl-turned-Brit, Mandy, who stocks excellent, well-made basics - dresses, jumpers, trousers and pyjamas at Hush.  The summer range has just hit the site and I got my order in yesterday as things usually sell out fast.  Although most of it is on back order, I'm fairly sure it will be here before the Country Road jumper.

And I know the clothes will fit right in here as I notice the catalogue shoot was done right up the road in Palm Beach's very own The Boat House!

* Pics from Hush


No comments:

Post a Comment